this recipe on
4 Cups Fresh sliced Jersey Fresh Apples (or Peaches in the Summer)
2 Cups Sugar
3 Cups Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Nutmeg
2 Large Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Oil
1 Cup Walnuts
½ Cup Dried Cranberries (optional)
- Grease and flour tube pan – preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples (or peaches); mix with sugar, let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into large bowl – set aside.
- Lightly whisk eggs, add vanilla and salt – let rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture into apples mixture – stir to blend. Add resulting mixture to flour mixture, add oil and walnuts (and cranberries, if desired) and blend well, scraping the bottom of the bowl often.
- Pour into prepared tube pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan.
- This was traditionally served plain in our house, but it can be topped with confectioner’s sugar or your favorite vanilla glaze.
- Can be frozen or kept at room temperature for a week or more if tightly wrapped.
Recipe courtesy of Joe Atchison